Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rex Mosquito Trap

Of late, my poor baby has been bitten by mosquitoes constantly all over his body, especially on his cute little face >_< Enough was enough! Those big and horrfying red swells left on his cheeks have forced me to wage war against those nuisance mosquitoes!

We have tried so many ways to fend them off - mosquito spray (which we least use due to health and environmental reasons), natural mosquito repellents, mosquito patches, mosquito netting (which is useful but very warm at times if air ventilation is poor or no air-con), mosquito racket, and many more, yet my poor baby still got bitten by those hungry, blood-sucking pests!

So finally, I went to Ace Hardware Store in Ikano to see if I could get any good mosquito trap. There were actually a few brands displayed on the shelf such as Khind, but I wasn’t sure how effective they were. One of the staff took his time to explain about the mosquito traps, and finally recommended the Rex Mosquito Trap. With the help of advanced technology at my fingertips, I used my phone to search for reviews on this product. There were a couple of good reviews on this trap, and after much thought and consideration, I finally decided to give it a try. The Rex Mosquito Trap is priced at RM165 and comes with a 1-year warranty. I think if you search for this product online, you might be able to find it at a cheaper price, or if you happen to visit any Home Expo, you could get it at a better deal.


The blue color thing is the fluorescent light



So how does it work?

i.)    Plug in the cord and turn on the switch. The fluorescent light in the trap will be turned on to attract the mosquitoes. (Hint: Bear in mind that this thing will only work well in pitch dark areas as it has to be the only source of light to draw the mosquitoes near to the trap. If the trap is placed in a bright or lighted area, chances are, the mosquitoes won’t even notice the light emitted from it!)

ii.)   A fan will also be turned on at the same time beneath the light. Mosquitoes that fly to the light will then be sucked into the trap due to the suction of fan.

iii.)   Once the mosquitoes are trapped underneath, do not turn off the switch immediately as they will fly out of the trap when the fan is off. It is meant to be turned on 24 hours. The mosquitoes will then gradually dehydrate and die in the trap.



When I used the trap for the first night, I was curious to find out if any mosquitoes were caught in it. All I saw was a mutated-looking insect (which I couldn’t tell what it was). But after a few nights, I began to see more dead mosquitoes.

Dehydrated mosquitoes



This one is still alive and hanging on for its life!





To clean the trap, simply dismantle it by turning the lower part of the trap anti-clockwise. Once it is unlocked, you can clean the screen window with a brush.

Hopefully with the help of the trap, it will put an end to my nightmare of mosquitoes attacking Baby E's face!




3 comments:

  1. My friend recommended me another model of mosquito trap that have auto-sensor for On-Off (http://homefixmalaysia.com/shop/insect-light-traps/mozy-m3-photocatalyst-mosquito-light-trap-with-photocell-sensor-switch/), and seems like this Mozy M3 model works the similar way with Rex

    ReplyDelete
  2. where to buy and how much the fan-motor for Rex mosquito trap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are my light bulbs burning out in a months time. My old Rex fan lasted 5 years and this one is burning light bulbs like popcorn.

    ReplyDelete