Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fever

Baby E was down with fever a few days ago, and I was worried sick. It started on Wednesday night when his body temperature suddenly shot up. He kept waking up at night and was crying most of the time. I was totally exhausted, but had to take care of him alone because hubby was down with flu and was sleeping in another room. As soon as morning arrived, I told hubby to bring him to see Dr. Kwan. When he was at the doctor's place, Dr. Kwan was concerned about whether he had any symptoms of the Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HFMD). It seems that there is an outbreak of HFMD lately and many children, even adults, have been infected badly. But thank god, there were no such symtoms found on Baby E. So he only prescribed a bottle of paracetamol for us to give it to Baby E if his temparature exceeded 37.5°C.

We have been using a digital thermometer all this while, and each time we inserted it under Baby E's armpit, he would become very restless and start moving around. It was very hard to get an accurate reading under such circumstances, and it took the digital thermometer forever to give us a reading. So I decided to invest on a good ear thermometer for long-term usage.

After doing much research online, I found that Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer was one of the highly recommended brands among pediatricians and mothers. So without much hesitation, I decided to get one. If only I didn't have to get it so urgently, I would have bought it online for a much, much cheaper price. But because I needed to get the thermometer badly, I couldn't wait. I had to get one instantly. I called up a few pharmacies, and none of them sold this thermometer. Most of them were selling Microlife or Omron. After calling up many pharmacies, I finally found out that Vitacare in The Gardens (next to CIMB) were selling it! The model that I got was IRT4520, which cost me RM289! (Now I'm beginning to understand why most pharmacies don't sell them).



It's very easy to use!



We had to constantly sponge him with water especially when his temperature exceeded 38°C. We also got some fever patches for him to put on his forehead.

These come in handy for sick babies or children



It's not easy looking after a sick child, especially a baby. So be sure to get ready with all the necessary things before things turn bad. No matter what situations you are in, as long as the situation worries you, never feel hesitate to bring your child to a doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment